Moda Blockheads 4: Free Block of the Week Quilt Along
Surprise! Moda Blockheads 4 is beginning! If you’re unfamiliar with Moda Blockheads – it’s a free block of the week sew-along featuring blocks from Moda designers. You can check out my past Moda Blockhead quilts here and here (including links to the free patterns).
The free block of the week begins 3.23.22 (today!) and runs through 9.28.22. Every Wednesday, check for info on new block of the week on the Moda Blockheads Facebook page or the MB4 Archive. Each week, you’ll find the new pattern on the designer’s blog on Wednesday only. On Friday, the direct links will be posted on those facebook/archive pages. I will also keep a running archive on the bottom of this page.
There are 28 blocks and each block will have instructions to be made in two different sizes – 9″ finished and 4-1/2″ finished. You can decide which size you’d like – or make both if you’d like. I’ll be making the 4-1/2″ finished size. There are also a couple bonus blocks that will be thrown in on random.
For this type of a project, a materials list can be hard to prescribe. The general recommendation for Moda Blockheads 4 is to start out with a fat quarter bundle for the sampler blocks. But really, you can use scraps, or anything that’s in your stash. Part of the fun for me is making it up as I go. Your layout plan will determine what other materials you will need. (Moda will release layout options for Moda Blockheads 4 to help give you ideas on their site here – scroll past the blocks to the bottom of the page.)
As for me, I’m having difficulty deciding which group to use… so ultimately I’m going to make 2 sets in the 4-1/2″ finished size. The first set will be in my Flower Pot fabric collection (arriving to shops April/May). The second set will be in Love Note that is currently in shops.
I haven’t come up with an official plan yet but the idea is to keep it simple. The general picture in my mind is a couple rows of MB4 sampler blocks with a block of solid color above and below. Or maybe they won’t be solid per se. And maybe the sampler row will be off center. Nothing is set in stone at this point (except my fabric and size choices). Let’s just start making blocks and see what comes together! Will you sew along?
Moda Blockheads 4 Pattern Archive
- Block 1 – “Square Wheel” by Lynne Hagmeier of Kansas Troubles
- Block 2 – “Cooee” by Jenelle Kent of Pieces to Treasure
- Block 3 – “Kouign Amman” by Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Bonus Block 1 “Roundabout” by Moda Fabrics
- Block 4 – “Spinner” by Anne Sutton of Bunny Hill Designs
- Block 5 – “Two of Five” by Barbara Groves of Me & My Sister Design
- Bonus Block 2 – “Mix and Match” by Michelle White
- Block 6 – “Spinning into Spring” by Linzee McCray
- Block 7 – “Game Board” by Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Bonus Block 3 “Star Turn” by Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Block 8 – “Wild Geese” by Kate Spain
- Bonus Block 4 “Zipper” by Moda Fabrics
- Block 9 – “Cross My Mind” by Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
- Block 10 – “Autumnal” by Chelsi Stratton
- Bonus Block 5 “Wheat Field” by Moda Fabrics
- Block 11 – “Block Berry” by Jackie MacDonald of Sweetfire Road
- Block 12 – “Friendship Star” by Deb Strain
- Block 13 – “Evening Delight” by Debbie Maddy
- Block 14 – “Bird on a Branch” by Jan Patek
- Block 15 – TBA
- Block 16 – TBA
- Block 17 – TBA
- Block 18 – TBA
- Block 19 – TBA
- Block 20 – TBA
- Block 21 – TBA
- Block 22 – TBA
- Block 23 – TBA
- Block 24 – TBA
- Block 25 – TBA
- Block 26 – TBA
- Block 27 – TBA
- Block 28 – TBA