$5 in October: the Aviator Quilt Pattern
We interrupt the Christmas Eve fabric posts with a little info about the newest $5 pattern of the month. This one’s for those who dream of flying… the Aviator airplane quilt pattern. This is one of my bestselling patterns and a great beginner pattern.
A Fat Quarter Quilt Pattern
The Aviator airplane quilt is made with just 16 fat quarters. Choose a mix of dark and light prints and mix them together in this scrappy delight! Each fat quarter will yield 1 block background + 1 airplane silhouette – and it is a very tight squeeze onto each fat quarter. As noted on the pattern: “You will need to cut a 17-1/2’’ x 21’’ rectangle from each fat quarter. When purchasing fabric, measure to make sure your fat quarters will allow you to do this. If you prewash fabric, you might consider purchasing half-yards.” For full details about the original quilt, visit this blog post here.
The original airplane quilt was made years ago using mostly Persimmon by BasicGrey for Moda Fabrics. Even though that collection is out of print, you’ll be happy to know BasicGrey has a similar collection shipping to shops at the end of this month! Keep your eye out for Nutmeg by BasicGrey for Moda Fabrics. It is a gorgeous collection you will want to stock up on.
- Pattern: Aviator by Lella Boutique
- Fabric: Nutmeg by BasicGrey for Moda Fabrics (Oct 2022)
- Finished block: 16″ x 16-1/2″
- Finished quilt: 64″ x 66″ (NOTE: for a baby sized version, consider made fewer blocks. A 3×3 block setting would measure 48″ x 49-1/2″ and is made with 9 fat quarters.)
- Skill Level: Beginner (made with an easy corner triangle technique)