Reindeer Xing Quilt in Christmas Eve Fabric
On Christmas Eve, we search the skies for reindeer in flight… Here’s a herd of the sweetest reindeer blocks mixed into a wintry forest. This quilt is called “Reindeer Xing” and is another new pattern made up in the Christmas Eve fabric arriving to shops in May.
Reindeer Block Construction
The blocks of “Reindeer Xing” are pieced using a combination of beginner techniques – half square triangles for the tree blocks + easy corner triangles for the deer. I would classify the skill level required for this pattern as “intermediate” – not because of difficulty, but more because there are a lot of pieces to keep track of (and a few of them are small).
Christmas Eve Fabric
One of my favorite things about the “Reindeer Xing” quilt is the way it highlights the greys of the Christmas Eve collection. A couple Moda Bella Solids are used for the deer (specific SKU info listed below). Christmas Eve fabric arrives May 2023 – so now is the time to put in requests to the shops. For your convenience, below is a list of what you’ll need to make “Reindeer Xing” in Christmas Eve:
- 6 fat quarters of assorted grey prints* (SKUs #5181-12, #5181-13, #5182-13, #5183-12, #5184-13, #5186-13)
- 1 yard light grey accent fabric* (SKU #5187-12)
- 3 yards dark grey fabric (SKU #5187-13)
- 2 yards white background fabric (SKU #5187-21)
- 1-1/4 yards 9900 194 “Sienna” brown fabric (SKU #9900-194 “Sienna”)
- 3/8 yard 9900 284 “Charcoal” fabric (SKU #9900-284 “Charcoal)
- 5/8 yard white fabric for antlers (SKU #5187-21)
- 3/4 yard binding fabric (SKU #5181-16)
- 6-1/4 yards backing fabric (SKU #5182-13)
- 89” x 89” batting
* NOTE: To make more colorful/scrappy tree blocks, use (1) Layer Cake® (24 squares 10” x 10”) and nix the (6) fat quarters and [1 yard] light grey fabric.
- Pattern: “Reindeer Xing” by Lella Boutique
- Finished Block: 16″ x 16″
- Finished Quilt: 80-1/2″ x 80-1/2″
- Fabric: Christmas Eve by Lella Boutique for Moda Fabrics (arriving May 2023) + Moda Bella Solids
- Pieced by: Me
- Quilted by: Katie Malan of Katie’s Quilting Co.
- Pantograph: “Geo Tree Farm” by Mistletoe Quilting