Sewcialites 2: (Block 9)
Hello everybody! I hope you are enjoying the holidays. Can’t believe it’s the end of 2022. I feel like it flew by! It’s time for the newest Sewcialites 2 free block of the week! Today’s pattern, Block 9, is “New Plus Old” by Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic.
Block 9: “New Plus Old”
This “New Plus Old” block is a simple one. It’s classified as “beginner” skill level by Fat Quarter Shop, which is always great for the busy holiday season. With the center diamond unit, my recommendation is always to press the white corners out first before trimming the 1/4″ seam allowance underneath. (Helps keep it square.)
The first block is mocked up in Country Rose fabric (in shops now) and is scaled to represent the 6″ finished block size. I leaned into the greens of the collection with this block version.
The second version is mocked up in Christmas Eve fabrics (expected May 2023). I kept the prints simple and love the contrast of the red against the stripes. Almost reminds me of a diamond ring setting in the center.
Important Sewcialites 2 Links
To sew along, check out all of these links for supplies, layout, and how to interact with other Sewcialites:
- Fat Quarter Shop’s rundown on Sewcialites 2
- Running archive of the free block patterns (bottom of post)
- The Sewcialites 2 Information Packet
- Fat Quarter Shop’s YouTube channel (free tutorials on each block)
- The Sewcialites Lounge on Facebook
- See Lella Boutique’s version of the Sewcialites 2 blocks