2020 Designer Mystery Block of the Month: The Finished Quilt
I’ve had this quilt finished for a couple months, but am just getting around to posting about it! Have you ever heard of a designer mystery block of the month program? They are so much fun! I have always loved Fat Quarter Shop’s designer mystery quilts.
Designer Mystery Block of the Month
How a Designer Mystery block of the month works:
- 12 Moda designers are invited to design quilt blocks around a certain theme. The block designs are kept a surprise–which means the finished quilt top layout remains a mystery as well.
- The subscribers of this block of the month receive monthly kits where each month reveals the designer of the month and their block.
There are so few surprises in life, it is such a fun thing to sign up for. The 2020 Designer Mystery block of the month by Fat Quarter Shop just wrapped up and featured my Bloomington fabric collection. Here’s how the final quilt turned out:
Did You Know?
Even though the official block of the month sew along is over, anyone can make this quilt! Fat Quarter Shop has released a PDF pattern bundle including all 12 Mystery Block patterns + the finishing pattern:
Let’s get a closer look at the individual blocks! I shared blocks #1-6 a few months back in a blog post here. Here is the second batch:
The Finished Quilt Details
- Pattern: 2020 Moda Mystery Designer Block of the Month by Fat Quarter Shop
- Fabric: Bloomington by Lella Boutique for Moda Fabrics.
- Finished block size: 12″ x 12″
- Finished quilt size: 70.5″ x 70.5″
- Pieced by: Vanessa Goertzen (me)
- Quilted by: Kaitlyn Howell at Knot and Thread Design. She used the “Echo Blossoms” pantograph by Beany Girl Quilts.
I think Jocelyn at Fat Quarter Shop came up with such a brilliant finishing plan! It was definitely a fun one to make. Have you ever participated in a designer mystery block of the month? Let me know in the comments.
What do you think of this mystery block? Let me know in a comment below!