Farmer's Daughter fabric Scrap quilts

Sunflower Quilt Blocks for Ukraine

From the early morning hour / ’til the sun is at its close

/ the loyal steadfast flower seeks the light without repose

Scrappy Sunflowers quilt by Lella Boutique. Fabric is Farmer’s Daughter by Lella Boutique for Moda Fabrics. Custom quilting by Natalia Bonner.

Sunflowers are powerful and relentless in their pursuit of light. I have always admired them. My first quilt was actually a mosaic sunflower.

It seems so fitting that Ukraine’s national flower is a sunflower. Sunflowers have become a powerful symbol of the Ukrainian people; their heart, strength, and determination to fight for the good. It’s impossible not to be inspired by their spirit. We pray for these heroic people to overcome the evil at their door. We pray for the leaders of our nation and the world to know the right way to help.

Make a Sunflower Block for Ukraine

Several years back, I designed a free sunflower block for the Aurifil thread blog. One of my followers, Amanda (@graccieone on Instagram) reminded me about this freebie other day and reached out with the idea to stitch up a sunflower blocks in support of Ukraine and encourage donations that can help the people there. If you’d like to sew up a block in support of Ukraine, please enjoy the free pattern below and consider donating to the Red Cross or UNICEF. No amount is too small.

Scrappy Sunflowers quilt pattern by Lella Boutique. Fabric is Farmer's Daughter by Lella Boutique for Moda Fabrics. Download a free "Sunflower Power" block from Lella Boutique.
FREE Sunflower Power block pattern by Lella Boutique

The block comes from my Scrappy Sunflowers quilt but I’ve removed the green part that connects the flower to the stem so it is a standalone flower. I think it would make a cute pillow or wall hanging on its own!

24 Comments

1. Rebecca Bunke

March 1, 2022 at 9:49 pm

Thank you for praying for the Ukraine people and the leaders who can help them. I’ll be making a sunflower in support.

2. Deb

March 2, 2022 at 9:15 am

I actually started cutting all the pieces to your Sunflower pattern in the last couple of weeks and in the process of making my first sunflower today!!

3. Linda E Mahoney

March 3, 2022 at 3:24 am

Thank you. My heart is filled with sadness for these beautiful people and their country. This block reminds me that they are steadfast and strong. I pray for the people of Ukraine.

4. Elizabeth Penny Foster

March 3, 2022 at 9:51 am

I’m actually turning my Spring Fling flowers into sunflowers 🌻 and praying 🙏 for Ukraine 🇺🇦. May God protect them and drive their enemies away!

5. Patricia Cash

March 3, 2022 at 10:23 am

I will be making the sunflower and making a donation to UNCIEF

1. lellaboutique

March 8, 2022 at 4:07 pm

Thanks for your support! Every dollar helps.

6. Barbara Hardy

March 3, 2022 at 4:23 pm

Do you want us to make a Sunflower square and send it to you to put together to make a quilt? Not sure why you want us to make a square.

1. cheryl

March 4, 2022 at 11:07 am

I had the same thought, I will make a block or two and send them to you….where to?

1. lellaboutique

March 8, 2022 at 4:08 pm

I’m not collecting blocks but you could certainly put a quilt together for refugees by teaming up with your local guild or other quilting group if you wish. It would be a wonderful project to put together.

2. lellaboutique

March 8, 2022 at 4:07 pm

It’s just a fun little free project to raise awareness and encourage donations to the Red Cross or UNICEF. You could certainly put a quilt together for refugees with your local guild or quilting group if you wish. That would be a wonderful project.

7. Marty

March 4, 2022 at 4:29 pm

Barbara and Cheryl, from what I understand Lela us offering her sunflower block pattern for free, for you to make your own. She’s suggesting you donate to UNICEF or the Red Cross if you’re able to help Ukraine. I’m going to make a block and hang one in our front window as our support for Ukraine. If we had a covered porch, it’d go on our front door. I’m also going to see if their are Ukrainians in our County, and if local assistance is needed.

1. lellaboutique

March 8, 2022 at 4:09 pm

I love that idea, Marty! What a sweet thing to see on your front door. 🙂 You are exactly right. It’s more of a way to encourage donations but turning them into quilts would be a really great group project too for anyone who wants to spearhead that.

8. Marty

March 4, 2022 at 4:31 pm

Meant Lella, autocorrect changed it before I hit send, my apologies Lella.

9. Darla Burdick

March 5, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Please consider Samaritans Purse as a financially responsible organization to which to contribute. They currently have staff already on the ground in Ukraine assisting the people.

1. lellaboutique

March 8, 2022 at 4:10 pm

Thank you for this suggestion, Darla! I love that idea. There are so many great organizations that can assist the people of Ukraine.

2. Missy Bear

April 9, 2022 at 1:21 am

Absolutely Darla, we’ve donated to Samaritans Purse since they are already there and have set up hospitals and relief for the Ukrainian people. An excellent organization where your money will go to the people in need.

10. Debi

March 6, 2022 at 10:49 am

Thank you so much for the lovely block in support of Ukraine. I made one today in Ukrainian colors and it turned out beautifully.

1. lellaboutique

March 8, 2022 at 4:11 pm

That sounds lovely, Debi! It is such a perfect symbol for those people in Ukraine.

11. Barbara

March 7, 2022 at 5:49 am

I wake every morning hoping to hear good news from Ukraine. My heart breaks for these people. I will be making the sunflower block and I thank you for caring. I wish more people in the world cared.

1. lellaboutique

March 8, 2022 at 4:12 pm

I hope for the same thing too. It’s atrocious what’s happening right now. Thanks for your good heart and support.

12. LindaK

March 7, 2022 at 2:06 pm

One feels so helpless while the people of Ukraine are in the midst of suffering and death, A monetary donation seems so impersonal , yet is probably the most useful at this time. I think the sunflower block, with the addition of borders, could be made up into a lovely table topper. If I can get any made, I will give to our local churches to raise money. Thank you so much, Vanessa, for offering the block to the public for free. Glory to Ukraine!

1. lellaboutique

March 8, 2022 at 4:15 pm

Donating your table topper to raise funds is such a beautiful gesture. Thanks for your good heart, Linda. I think you are right and the donations are what can make the biggest impact right now. We hope this conflict will end soon.

13. Mary Jane

March 9, 2022 at 3:26 pm

Thank you so much, this is so thoughtful of you.

14. Robyn Christie

May 4, 2022 at 1:32 pm

Is there a way to resize this to 8.5” x 8.5” for blocks for quilts given to Ukrainian children?